Thursday, November 8, 2007

Sonnata for Tenor Blockflote and Steam Radiator

Yesterday, got my son laughing when I played the recorder and incorporated the steam radiator's soft, plaintive D into the song. The quite recorder-like radiator played somewhat regularly every 20 seconds, sometimes with and extra toot or two.

He also drew a map of the moon earlier in the day and after learning how to draw a perfect circle with his thumb as a compass point. There are few things poetic as the name places of our Moon... the Ocean of Storms, the Seas of Tranquility and Serenity, Crater Tycho (I love the story of when Tycho Brahe was walking home one night and realized a new star had formed, he was so intimate with the dark sky), the Sea of Crises, the Ocean of Fecundity, the Lake of Sleep, the Sea of Nectar (never heard of these last two till now) and the Sea of Cold. My favorite is the Sea of Rains. Ah, yes, and the Dark Side. The homeschooling dad in me gives you your first question of the day, where was the Apollo 11 landing?

In the Museum of Natural History nearby, there is a display which shows how scientists believe the moon was wayward planet which bumped into earth (I don't know, it was before I was born) and it shattered then reformed as the moon. In that same little exhibition room is a small rock you could comfortably carry in your pocket. I guess it came from a meteor and you can touch it. It is older than the earth. That is my favorite part of the museum.

I guess homeschooling can be fun, though it is workety-work just to be around your kid and providing quality attention/guidance all the time then staying up all night to write music or whatever. Today we get to go to our favorite cheep-o Japanese restaurant in midtown, Zhia (really wrong spelling, I know), and go skating behind the 42nd street library in gorgeous Bryant Park. Here's the last question of the day, what are the names of the two famous lions outside the front of that library?


Frank Lynch
LeggNet


No comments: